Sunday, June 12, 2011

Ooh, baby, baby! The joy of Lensbaby.

I paced back and forth, listening closely to the door - expectantly waiting for the latest addition to my Nikon family.  Nervously, I ran to the door when the doorbell rang.  When I saw the Amazon.com box sitting on the porch, I knew it had to be the delivery of my baby - Lensbaby, that is.
The Lensbaby Composer is a neat little bundle-of-joy that looks like a lens on a ball joint - which is exactly what it is.  What is cool about the contraption is that it is modular and has a wide range of accessories to achieve different effects from this interesting tool.  The Lensbaby Composer comes with a double-glass lens insert for sharp focus, but this can easily be exchanged for the single-glass, plastic, or pinhole lens modules.  The 'baby' also comes with an assortment of aperture rings for various degrees of soft-focus effects.
The purpose of this funny looking design is to put more control into the photographer's hands to achieve stunning images by shifting the focal plane to manipulate what appears to be in or out of focus in the image.  Of course you could do the same thing in Photoshop, but it that would be a considerable amount of extra labor.
All puns aside, I took the photos below within minutes of opening the packaging- using it was intuitive although I admit I did pick up a few finer details when I went back and checked out the manufacturer's website.  
Adding this baby to your brood is sure to stimulate your creativity to conceive new images. (Sorry- couldn't help myself!)
Focal "sweet spot" at center of image



The "sweet spot" is toward the top of the image

No comments:

Post a Comment